-- IS 103 Series
-- Being Your Best You
-- Library Skills
-- Maida Kamber
-- Microsoft Office
> Skill Areas
> Library Resources
> Learning Resources
> Microsoft Office
> Social Technologies
> Foreign Language
> Math - Testing
> Med: Nursing
> Political Science
> Social Sciences
Home > Schedule > MyPlan: Scholarship Personal Statement Writing
MyPlan: Scholarship Personal Statement Writing (New)
This hands-on workshop walks you through the MyPlan Financial Aid Plan Module. Determine the cost of your education and your current financial health to determine if you need aid. Learn about the financial aid process and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Learn about the various forms of financial aid available and find aid opportunities that are geared towards you. Put together the right financial aid package for yourself and learn how to keep funding your education until you finish your program of study!
Location: Iliahi 231 Imiloa Studio (Kahikoluamea)
|Wednesday, January 30
|Monday, February 11
||7:30pm – 8:30pm
|Wednesday, February 20
||12:15pm - 1:15pm
|Tuesday, March 5
||12:15pm - 1:15pm
Personal Statement Writing Tips
- Follow the directions in the application
- Answer the question(s) asked
- Paint a picture and share a snippet of yourself
- Be honest and real
- Be modest but put your best foot forward
- Express your gratitude
- Have a strong introduction, organize body and strong conclusion
- Have people proofread for grammar and tone and provide feedback
- Work to make a connection with the reader
- Tell your story
The "Do Nots"
- Lie or over exaggerate
- Be bostful, but do paint your accomplishment and triumphs
- Be negative
- Insult the reader
- Whine or beg
Personal Statement Writing Prompts
Think about and come up with some answers to these questions below. By doing so you'll be able to generate material to develope an authentic personal statement that reflects the true you. Happy writing and happy money hunting.
Your Goals and Dreams
- What has motivated you to pursue your practicular career path and program of study?
- What types of contributions do you see yourself making to your field?
- Name a problem in the community or in your field you hope to address or solve one day and how you plan to address it
- What people, experience or ideas have most influence you and made you the person you are today? What are these lessons or values that they stilled in you?
- What role has your family or your community played in your life
- Who your your heroes and why?
- What was your biggest life changing experience and how did this shape you future?
- What accomplishments in your life are you most proud of?
- Name and award, honor or achievement you received and tell us the story behind it?
- What challenges have you faced in your life and how you overcame them?
- What mistakes did you make in life and how has this impacted who you are today? What did you learn?
- What ignites your passion in life?
- What do you enjoy doing outside or school or work? Why is this important to you?
- What makes you different from everyone else?
Community College - © 2002-2009. All Rights Reserved.
4303 Diamond Head
Road, Honolulu, HI 96816 | 808.734.9206
Established: July 17, 2002 - Send