-- Accuplacer Info
-- College Success
-- Library Skills
-- Maida Kamber
-- Microsoft Office
> Math - Testing
Home > Resources > Math > Courses > MATH 81 > Objectives
MATH 81: Foundations of Mathematics
MATH 81 is offered to prepare students for college level mathematics (BUS 100, MATH 100, MATH 100H, MATH 115). Topics covered include numeracy, data analysis, basic algebra, graphing, geometry, and problem solving. Students will be expected to use graphing calculators and computers in an interactive and collaborative learning environment.
Upon successful completion of MATH 81, the student should be able to:
- Extract relevant data and solve real-life problems that involve computations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Estimate and determine the magnitude of quantities before formal computation and to compare the estimated and computed values for consistency.
- Convert standard notation to scientific notation, perform calculations using scientific notation.
- Use the order of operations.
- Analyze and interpret graphical and tabular data.
- Write ratios and proportions and use them to solve problems.
- Solve direct and inverse variation problems.
- Perform the basic operations on signed numbers.
- Evaluate formulas (including geometric and Pythagorean) from a variety of disciplines, using calculators when appropriate.
- Express numerical quantities, including variables, in meaningful units.
- Interpret an algebraic expression in one variable as an explicit sequence of arithmetic operations to be performed on that variable.
- Identify terms, like terms, numerical coefficients.
- Recognize and express verbally, numerically, graphically, and symbolically the patterns displayed by linear data.
- Recognize equivalent linear relationships numerically, algebraically, and graphically and translate from one representation to any of the others.
- Translate word phrases into algebraic expressions and equations.
- Solve linear equations and simple systems of equations.
- Solve a formula for a specified variable.
- Use the laws of exponents.
- Solve equations involving squares and square roots.
- Use the quadratic formula.
MATH 81 resource page
Community College - © 2002-2009. All Rights Reserved.
4303 Diamond Head
Road, Honolulu, HI 96816 | 808.734.9206
Established: July 17, 2002 - Send