-- IS 103 Series
-- Being Your Best You
-- Library Skills
-- Maida Kamber
-- Microsoft Office
> Skill Areas
> Library Resources
> Learning Resources
> Microsoft Office
> Social Technologies
> Foreign Language
> Math - Testing
> Med: Nursing
> Political Science
> Social Sciences
Home > Resources > Math > Courses > MATH 24 > Objectives
Math 24: Elementary Algebra I
An introduction to basic algebra topics, MATH 24 is the first course in a two semester sequence of Elementary Algebra courses. Instruction includes units on operations with signed numbers, linear equations and inequalities in one variable, the coordinate plane, and linear systems in two variables.
Upon successful completion of MATH 24, the student should be able to:
- Translate word phrases into algebraic expressions.
- Use the order of operations to find the value of algebraic expressions.
- Identify whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers.
- Find the absolute value, additive inverse, and multiplicative inverse of a real number.
- Perform the basic operations (add, subtract, multiply, and divide) with signed rational numbers.
- Identify the following properties: commutative, associative, identity, inverse, distributive.
- Identify terms, like terms, and numerical coefficients in a polynomial.
- Solve linear equations and inequalities in one variable.
- Solve a formula for a specified variable.
- Write and solve ratios and proportions including those from word problems.
- Plot an ordered pair and state the quadrant in which it lies.
- Graph linear equations and inequalities by point plotting, the intercept method, and the slope-intercept method.
- Write the equation of a line given two points or the slope and y-intercept or the slope and a point on the line.
- Solve linear systems of equations or inequalities in two variables by algebraic and graphic methods.
- Use linear systems to solve word problems.
MATH 24 resource page
Community College - © 2002-2009. All Rights Reserved.
4303 Diamond Head
Road, Honolulu, HI 96816 | 808.734.9206
Established: July 17, 2002 - Send